Wednesday, March 02, 2005

You read it here first, again

Vancouver Sun: National Hockey League owners are attempting to destroy the players' association, CBC sports announcer Ron MacLean said Tuesday.

I first suggested that this was the leagues true game plan almost two months ago. But I'm not tooting my own horn. (Well OK, maybe just a little bit.) I'm pointing out that this has been evident to me for some time, and I have to think it's been evident to others also. And I maintain my position: the National Hockey League is committing suicide. The players can play anywhere, and if need be a new league will rise up to capture that market. On the other hand, the NHL is dreaming if it thinks that the fans will pay pro-league prices to watch college or Major-Junior lvel play, as would be the case with replacement players.