Sunday, January 02, 2005

Christ-mas: The Anchoress hits on something

The Anchoress: "I felt it too, as did many Christians I know...that even the days leading up to this Christmas felt 'off' in some way. Joy was not entirely missing...but it wasn't quite breaking through, either."

Part of my comment on her site: "Christmas is less about Christ and more about mas: more presents, more expense, more debt, more activbities, more stress."

She wonders if there was some sort of foreboding of the coming disaster. I think that's part of it, but I also think that this has been happening for years and entails a lot of negative trends, from politics to world events to culture. Now I'm not one of these "Every headline is a harbinger of Armageddon" Left Behind fans, but I do believe that Christ will return at some point, and if it isn't soon then the alternative will be another Dark Ages: chaotic, tribalistic, uneducated (a degree doesn't guarantee an education) but with a high-tech edge on the king's sword. Sort of like what is depicted in the movie Equilibrium. Christmas feels like a celebration of the Light in the midst of growing darkness.

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” Jn 8:12